If you’ve ever dreamed of surprising your family and friends with your budding talent as a pâtissier, or master pastry chef, then the Hotel Le Burgundy Paris has prepared a little taste bud tickling surprise.
Easter is upon us, bringing the perfect excuse to celebrate with some homemade chocolate confections such as milk chocolate macarons and strawberry and chocolate truffles. Accordingly, Julien Chamblas, the fabulously talented pastry chef at Le Burgundy Paris, brings you this tempting and tasty key to some moments of indulgent joy to share. Try these wonderful, yet easy to prepare chocolate recipes on your friends and family this Easter.
Our Chef's first surprise : Milk chocolate macarons
First step: you’ll need these ingredients
- ground almonds 250g
- icing sugar 250g
- egg white 45g
- water 75g
- caster sugar 225g
- egg white again 45g
- cream 225g
- caster sugar again 14g
- milk chocolate 76g
- dark chocolate 135g
Second step: the preparation of the shells
Chef’s tip: a successful method of preparing the shells uses an Italian meringue method. This involves incorporating a cooked sugar syrup into the egg whites while they are being whipped.
Preparation of your cooked sugar syrup
Pour the water and the 225g of caster sugar into a pan and heat to 118 degrees C. Do not stir as crystals may form.
Preparation of your Italian meringue
- Take a salad bowl and sift the icing sugar with the ground almonds through a fine sieve. Then pour the first batch of egg white onto the dry mixture.
- Place your second 45g of egg white in the blender. Begin whipping this at high speed just as bubbles start to appear in the sugar syrup being heated in the pan. Add the sugar syrup to the egg white as it is being whipped.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then use a spatula to fold this preparation into the icing sugar and ground almonds mixture. The mixture should be smooth but not runny.
- Take a piping bag and pour the mixture into it. Preparing a baking dish, pipe out your macarons according to the desired shell size. Leave a space of about 2.5cm between each shell.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the oven at 135 ° C
Chef’s tip: Tap the baking tray a few times on the work surface. This will help the macaron mixture to settle, break any air bubbles and help to ensure a smooth appearance for the shell.
Another chef’s tip: Leave to dry for twenty minutes. The surface of the macaron will become smooth and shiny. It all helps with the crispiness and appearance.
Third step: Preparing the macaron filling
- Pour the cream into a saucepan.
- Stir caster sugar into the preparation and bring to the boil.
- Once done, prepare in a bowl the previously broken up milk and dark chocolate.
- Wait until the chocolate has begun to soften and then blend it all together into a smooth paste.
- Put the mixture in the fridge for 24 hours.
- Remove the mixture two hours before you intend to use it and then, using a piping bag, garnish your macarons.
Final step: savour every delicious mouthful... Bon Appétit !
Our Chef's second surprise : Strawberry puree and milk chocolate truffles
First step: you’ll need these ingredients
- strawberry puree 125g
- caster sugar 12g
- 12g butter 12g
- milk chocolate 250g
Second step: preparing your truffles
- Place the strawberry puree into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the sugar.
- Place the milk chocolate in an appropriate container and melt in the microwave.
- Add the mixture of strawberry puree and mixture into the melted chocolate and stir together until a creamy texture is obtained.
- Add the butter - Chef’s tip: ensure that the butter has warmed up to room temperature prior to use to facilitate smooth mixing.
- Blend the butter into the mixture - Another Chef’s tip: ensure that you get all the air bubbles out of the preparation so as to lengthen its shelf life.
- Take your piping bag and fill it with the mixture.
- Take the chocolate moulds you intend to use and fill with the contents of the piping bag - Another Chef’s tip: you can easily find and purchase the moulds of your choice at your local chocolatier or kitchen accessories specialist.
- Leave the mixture in its moulds overnight in the fridge.
- Next day, take some dark chocolate and melt it in the microwave.
- Using a fork, take one of the truffles from its mould and dip it in the melted chocolate.
- Fill a bowl with cocoa powder and, using a tablespoon, sprinkle it all over the melted chocolate coating the truffle before it has a chance to set.
- Repeat these actions with each of the truffles from the fridge.
Third step: sit peacefully and rapturously savour these small but incredibly satisfying and delicious treats !
Hotel Burgundy Paris, a 5 star hotel in Paris, at the heart of the 1st district